carpe diem

So I have mixed feelings about today's post. My life just took a turn...to map my whereabouts during the last year it would be quite a crooked maze! I got a production assistant job on a reality show in my home town. I'll be living with my parents again; it's been 16 years since I've done that! It is going to be quite an adjustment! My sister is temporarily living there now, which will be another interesting adventure. I've already decided that the unfinished part of the attic will be my workspace. Whether sweltering hot or freezing cold, that will become my 'space'. It makes sense because it's right next to my bedroom/Dad's office. It's going to be weird and fun to live in Huntington again, even for a few months. I still have so many friends there and Columbus is a hop skip away... I feel like my path has directed me exactly where I need to be.

I had an epiphany while I was packing for WV for my interview last week... as I was putting clothes in my suitcase, a thought came to me with such clarity. I will find the money for 11:11 in West Virginia. Whether it be someone I already know in town or a connection through the show, I will find what I'm looking for. I believe the most vital attributes of an independent filmmaker are drive, determination and passion... and of course a good story:) One thing I pride myself on (and there aren't many) is that if I'm compelled to shoot a movie, I will stop at nothing to make it happen. If we don't get the money we need, then screw money. We will find other ways to make it work. Hell, my first(ish) short film was made for $35! Granted the quality wasn't great, but the story was funny and people liked it. You don't need a gagillion dollars to make something that will appeal to audiences. However, I shouldn't settle for less when I have worked so hard to build a visual resume, so I can make 11:11 as beautiful as it is in my head.

My head is kind of all over the place today. With the new McJob, I may or may not have the time I need to finish the latest draft of 11:11 by the time I would like. Perhaps I should give myself until 11/11 so I am not overwhelmed by a short time frame. Or maybe I should quit setting deadlines for myself. That could be the hinderence in my progress. Too much pressure. The great thing is that driving really helps me think. I used to tape record myself fleshing out scripts driving on the highway. Much of 11:11 was conceptualized in a car. I will be doing eight hours of that on Friday, so I will keep the 'soundtrack' in rotation. Maybe getting away from my normal surroundings will help me sort some things out too. Perhaps I will have less distractions? Or maybe I just distract myself? I type this as I think about centering my new clock on the wall. The time is off by a little bit, but I refuse to think about time today. I want to enjoy my last few days in my apartment alone instead of missing it in advance. Seize the day. Turn your clock off until tomorrow.

Comments

Popular Posts