Dissecting the 9th Draft

Now that I have begun this blog, I feel like I won't be able to stop. Writing is like an addiction to me...if I don't do it for a few days I don't feel myself. Like all these thoughts are being bottled up in my head and is about to burst out of my crown like confetti! My ideas need to escape into reality in order to make space for the new.

11:11 has been a long road. Draft 9 is up. I can't believe how much and how little the story has transformed since I began writing it in 2002. The hardest part now is simplifying a complex story. Much of me wants to gravitate back to Draft 3 where my thoughts weren't overthought and were still pure, due to lack of outside opinions. Now the universe, research, other minds have altered my story in the slightest way and somehow it feels slanted. I've holed up in my house this week trying to dissect the core of each character and figure out the parts I want the audience to see (or hear) and what I want them to figure out on their own. I'm struggling to find the balance...as I do in my 'real life' as well.

What it comes down to is pressure. I've put so much emphasis on my timeline and getting this thing done that I'm compromising my sanity. I am going to slow down and take things as they come and not force myself to make changes because some people didn't catch this or that in the read. What you see on a screen is far different than what you get on paper, so I assure you that these connections will become more obvious once the story comes to life. When that happens, I feel like my heart will explode! All of this work in one piece is like molding a child into who you want them to be. 11/11/11 will truly be a birth! Now for the conception...

Comments

Popular Posts