fall with me

What a roller coaster ride! Now the WV job is back on and I start tomorrow! I have to go to a PA boot camp, which is a first for me. I wonder if I will learn anything new? I do know that since the decline in offer before I left tons of stuff behind, so I'm lacking slightly in the preparation department. My rain jacket is in my set bag in my living room eight hours away along with my PA belt! Good thing is the schedule allows many breaks, most long enough to where I can come home intermittently. As it stands now, I get all of Cucalorus off, I get to make all of my original dates for my friends' wedding and may even be in Wilmywood for Halloween. I will be in Huntington for the big 33, which will be nice to spend with the folks who created me!

It's funny how schedules work out sometimes. The itinerary as it stands now allows me to do exactly what I want in the perfect window of time! We all know production dates can change at the drop of a dime, but feel myself more at ease knowing that this rocky journey is leading to a smooth path. I tap at the keys as my dad cooks dinner in the kitchen and my sister and mother rest. I'm in my unfinished attic sitting at my childhood desk. I was always a fan of attics and basements as a kid, likely because it was an escape... where I could be alone and imagine all of the things I now bring to the page. As you can see in wait...my affection for attics is prevalent. It's a place where you store all of your memories.

At one point I began to write a screenplay set in the basement of a house. Four teenagers get locked inside with only a scrabble board to entertain them. As they build words, their back stories are revealed. I'm not sure why this story has lived in my head; I suppose it has something to do with the time my friends and I got locked out of her grandma's house when we were in high school. We relocated to their Winnebago in the driveway. Even when they got home, we slept in there, freezing our tails off...just to have the freedom and adventure of sleeping under a roof other than our guardians. We used to pretend we were going to run away like in Stand by Me. We'd stuff our backpacks with snacks and walk around, but at the end of the day we would safely nestle in our beds by nine.

When I went to college in Ohio at 17, I craved the independence the dorms allowed me. I reveled in the freedom to go out on a school night and skip class if I felt like it. All my decisions were mine. Although I'm a born and raised West Virginian, Ohio is really where I grew up and found myself. It has been the heart of my existence. I knew I had to get out of there to pursue what I really wanted in life, but so much of who I am stems from my life there. It's weird knowing now that I've lived in NC longer than Ohio. When I think of my life on a time line, I've done a lot... I'm a grown up! It's hard to believe how long ago it was that I co-existed with my family in this beautiful city of Huntington, WV. I'm content to be back to my roots just as the leaves are changing on the trees. Fall with me...

Comments

Popular Posts