please don't steal my ideas!

So I'm leaving in a moment to work on another live recording of a play. This is #4 for me. I actually like the pace of it. You only get one take and it's live. You can't make mistakes. Things move quickly and your adrenaline is going. I used to be in musicals and plays growing up. My greatest ambition was to be an actress. I pop up in all my movies, but have done only a few minor roles in other films. In Americatown, I have a few appearances, most of me laying on the ground doing crazy legs...to me my inspiration was a cockroach flipped upside down who has epilepsy. What a hot mess:)

I love acting. Pretending like I'm someone else. Escaping who I am, even for just a moment. You can channel other sides of yourself and have an outlet for an emotion you may not be able to otherwise. I was going to play the part of the girl who is actually dead, Lili, in the movie, but decided she and her surviving sister Maggie would be twins...and I refuse to have a big role. Maggie is a aspiring actress with conflicting feeling for her deceased sister's boyfriend Mark. Mark struggles with the void of Lili and is reminded of her loss every time he sees her twin sister Maggie. Mark and Maggie pretend things are okay and try so hard to overcome their feelings, but the elephant in the room just grows larger and larger. Can you imagine losing the love of your life and being close to someone who looks exactly like them? Ouch.

I've become obsessed with birthdays for my characters as well. Since my affection for numbers has infinitely inflated I have been studying horoscopes...their traits, colors, birthstones, you name it. If a birthday I originally have in mind doesn't match their personality, I alter it. This has actually been a huge pain in the a$$. I'm trying to tie in dates in the year where time is tinkered with...daylight savings time, new year's, leap year...as well so that has made me rethink my backstories a bit. It's amazing how elaborate their back stories are, but for the most part the audience will never know. It will only be information I provide the actors for character building.

So many details of this film will be subliminal, down to set dressing and the clothes. Everyone will have a color and as their lives intertwine, the colors weave into one another. I love love little details like that. The great thing is that I have have a vision for every last department, okay...maybe not grip (i just know they will be rigging lots of cars!). I know what I want and I can communicate my ideas; I even have a huge production binder with visuals. What I want to know is how these ding dongs get to make crappy movies for lots of money with no vision whatsoever and I have more visions than meets the eye and haven't gotten a dime? I know I need to try harder and look further, but also think 11:11 is a bit dark and outside of the box...some might fear it's raw truthfulness.

Comments

Popular Posts