a different kind of marriage

I thought I'd kick off age 33 with a blog. Managed to keep my friend out long enough last night to ring in the new year:) Got a drink purchased by an unbelievably hot guy (and I never say that) and had happy birthday sung to me in Spanish by a friend's friend who was moving to Spain. Not a bad start at all. Bought a Power Ball lottery ticket yesterday as well and used my 11 inspiration in the selection process. Haven't checked to see what the winning numbers are yet, but wouldn't that make my life a hell of a lot easier. I'd love to fund a film inspired by numbers with WV lotto $!

I've always had this feeling that age 33 was going to be my year. Big things are on the horizon...I sense it. A year is a long time to accomplish my goals, so I mustn't lose sight of my ultimate plan. I'm moving forward at a steady speed and the confidence to set the cruise control and lay off of the brakes. Being in this town where my core was formed has reminded me of my accomplishments over the 15 years I've been away from here. As a young girl, all I wanted to do was act. I yearned to be in the entertainment business from a young age and was restricted due to location. As I continued to grow up, I found myself writing screenplays (in non-traditional format of course) and falling more in love with photography. In college, I immersed myself in the storytelling of images frame by frame. My voice was heard through the content of the images.

After graduating, I fell deeper into childcare and realized I was unsure about wanting to be a mother. It also became clear to me that I didn't want to morph into a wedding photographer either (which is what many professional photographers end up doing). What would I do with my life that would make me happy? I was so confused. Then, after my off again on again college boyfriend decided to move, it occurred to me that his absence freed me of a town I loved so much. I could leave feeling as if I wasn't leaving any question marks behind. While watching an episode of Dawson's Creek (shot in Wilmington, NC), I had an epiphany that I should move to Wilmington and attempt to secure my place in the entertainment industry. NC was far less intimidating than NY or LA, so I said goodbye to my best friends and the kids I'd grown to love as if they were my own and left Ohio...bound for NC.

Instantly, I began working as an extra on Dawson's Creek and began volunteering for the Cucalorus Film Festival. As difficult as the first year was, I discovered during my first film festival that I had found my home. Filmmaking marries so many of my interests: imagery, storytelling, performance, music... I tried to teach a few years and found myself being depressed when movies would shoot in town and I wasn't working on them. It felt as if I had married the wrong person. Now that I have made the choice to work primarily in film, I find myself fulfilled. This is what I'm supposed to do with my life and I've carried it around with me my entire existence. Maybe you don't believe in premonitions, but I know in my heart that my path has lead me right where I need to be. Here.

Comments

Popular Posts