vicarious living

Sometimes I don't know what day it is. My schedule is so inconsistent that sometimes I have to do a double take to remember what city I'm in. The other week I was in six states in ten days. It was kind of fun in a way. To be on the road. Listen to music or have quiet time to think and take in the scenery. That's how I developed most of my ideas for 11:11. Occasionally I would tape record myself. A while ago I found one of the tapes; one side was me playing a song I made up on the guitar (during my 'I'm going to teach myself how to play guitar phase' which didn't last long unfortunately:( and the other was me fleshing out the characters as I spoke. Some of the names even changed. I can't believe Adrienne's character used to be Daria. What was I thinking?

Adrienne's character is quite interesting really. I would like to spend some time showing a softer side of her, but I guess I do in some flashbacks. All of that stuff will be shot Super 8, so it's going to look really grainy...my favorite. Cindy Sherman's 'Untitled Film Stills' are very grainy and I love that texture and rawness. Much of Adrienne's back story is told through daydreams, where her husband Andy is remembering why he fell in love with her. He reminds himself often of how happy she used to be because he can't bare to deal with what they have become. Adrienne had big hopes for herself and fate changed her path, now she resents him.

It's difficult once resentment is built to let that go. I almost think you can't. Once it's there, it's challenging to fully get over. The dysfunction of the Evans family (Adrienne, Andy and their kids Kat and Drew) is much like many families. They are just trying to hold it together. Many readers of 11:11 say their storyline is the most solid of the ensemble. I agree. Andy is my favorite character and find writing scenes for him to be the most natural. I have no idea why though...I'm not a dude that is married with kids who is unemployed and heavy handed with the alcohol! Okay, maybe the latter part on occasion. Andy just flows out of me; I suppose because I know many people similar to him. If only I could get Mark Ruffalo to play him... Donal Logue would be a front runner too. I know they are two completely different looking actors, but think they could both pull it off.

Adrienne and Andy are the most relatable storyline in 11:11. I want to make sure that all the relationships in this film resemble those that real people have. Everyone has had a friend who was off limits but they had a secret crush on them anyway. We've all had a night with someone and everything was perfect, then they don't call and things turn to shit. Each one of us has had to make a last minute decision or have one made for us. Right? Or am I just thinking about my life experience? I suppose it's not as critical as I made it out to be. I've never been possessed by evil while vacationing in a cabin in the woods and Ash from Evil Dead is one of my favorite characters. The real point is to live out your worst fears or biggest dreams in a controlled environment, living vicariously through the characters.

Comments

Popular Posts