listening vs. speaking

I made it through the first week of the tv show I'm working on...just to clarify, it's not my own:) I'm working as a production assistant. That's normally what I do as a 'day job'. The great thing about what I do is I meet a lot of creative and talented people from all over the world. My friend once said that film is the most potent art form. That stuck with me.

I cannot imagine working in any other industry and feeling fulfilled; trust me, I've tried. When I taught elementary school and productions were going on simultaneously, a wave of depression would come over me. It's like I was married to the wrong person. I'm so proud of myself for taking the alternate fork in the road. Hopefully it is leading me in the right direction.

I am convinced there is a greater purpose for me returning to Huntington for the next few months. It's been great revisiting my old stomping grounds and being a leg up from out of town crew. Although I'm just a PA who is trained to do what's asked of me and has a non-existent creative voice, I have been enjoying taking the camera crew around town and showing them great places to shoot for B roll. I feel like in a small way, I'm contributing to the look of the show.

I am going to Pennsylvania in a few weeks to shoot my friends' wedding and I now wish I was driving so I could pass through the real Union County. I've never been there and want to make sure the locations in Wilmington I have chosen for 11:11 are similar. I'm sure it's a lot like Allentown, but I want to experience Union itself. Perhaps my city name will have to change, but for some reason that word speaks to me...so I listened.

Comments

Popular Posts